The Wallace Collection is a collection of fine and decorative arts formed in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries by four successive Marquesses of Hertford and the 4th Marquess’s heir, Sir Richard Wallace. It was left to the British Nation in 1897 and opened as a national museum in June 1900 in Hertford House, a grade II listed building in central London. The museum is internationally famous for its collection of French eighteenth-century art, European princely arms and armour and for its Old Master paintings.
The museum is managed by the Director, Dr Xavier Bray, who reports to a board of Trustees appointed by the Prime Minister and is financed by a combination of grant-in-aid from central government and self-generated income. Last year, the museum had more than 450,000 visitors.